HISTORY OF GIVEN CEMETERY - by Maxine Landfried
The original deed for the cemetery dated
October 4, 1880, between Samuel & Alice Moore and trustees of the
cemetery, tells us that Andrew Moore, son of Levi and Nancy (Sharp) Moore,
is buried there. According to Charles Ray Harper in his “Moore
Family History”, Andrew Moore was born in 1804 and died in 1879.
His wife Rebecca Waugh, daughter of Samuel and Ann (McGuire) Waugh, is
said to also be buried in the cemetery. She was born in 1802 and died in
There are eight burials in the cemetery
with markers predating 1900 or assumed to be pre-1900 burials.
The original deed for the cemetery does not
state a name for the cemetery. The post office at Given was not
established until 1885. An obituary in the early 1900’s
lists it as the Parchment Chapel Cemetery, however, the church was not in
existence until 1889. Names recorded on early death certificates
include the Moore Cemetery and the Parsons Cemetery.
Original trustees included one son of
Andrew Moore: Levi Moore; two sons-in-law of Andrew Moore: R. M.
Duffield and Charles Parsons; Lemuel Winget who had purchased land
from John Moore in 1877; and John F. Bennett who purchased land from
Charles & Alice Parsons in 1883.
The Given Cemetery Association, Inc. was
formed in 1978 to establish an endowment for the upkeep of the cemetery.
The association has officers elected each year. The offices are
president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. The Board of
Directors is made up of five members who are elected for three year terms.
The annual meeting of the Association is held the first Sunday in May at 2
p.m. at the Parchment Chapel United Methodist Church at Given.
November 29, 1995, Chester O. and Lucille
E. Parsons, his wife, deeded additional property for the cemetery which
now contains 1.72 acres.
In addition to Andrew and Rebecca Moore’s unmarked graves there are no doubt other unmarked graves in this old cemetery.
Updated: 07 September 2012